Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Pinto Beans, Forensic Science, T-shirts and Ponytails

I'm not saying I enjoy having my wonderful husband out of the country, but those who know me understand that I tend to make the best of almost every situation. Walt's absence is no exception to the rule. I have come up with a few ways to help keep my mind off the fact that I am here and he is not.

To begin, I've changed our usual menu selections here at home. This week, I will dine mostly on re fried pinto bean sandwiches, a little known delicacy I grew up enjoying back in southern Ohio.

My fourteen year old son, Adam, on the other hand has chosen chili as his primary source of nutrition. First thing yesterday morning, I put a pot of pinto beans on the stove for me and started pulling the ingredients together for Adam's chili. By dinner time yesterday evening, we were set!

Secondly, I plan to take full advantage of the fact that I can watch whatever I want, whenever I want on television. No more silly western re-runs until after Walt returns! Every night I will fall asleep with Discovery Health, Tru TV, or TLC blaring in the background. I may even tune into "Lifetime" if the mood strikes.

Thirdly, I will dress mainly in t-shirts and shorts .. heck maybe even the SAME t-shirt and shorts for a couple days at a time. For that matter, I might decide to sleep in my t-shirt and save myself the trouble of changing every morning.

Shoes are optional and will likely be worn only when going out in public. Oh! And ponytails will be all the rage in hairstyles until Sunday when I plan to clean up and go to my usual Sunday morning worship service. (Although I'm sure I'd be allowed into the sanctuary in my t-shirt, shorts and pony tail, I will draw the line there. I do have a reputation to maintain, after all)

Rest assured, as soon as I get home from church, the shoes will come off and the shorts and t-shirt will go back on.

This is the life!

OK, that may be a rather strong statement. My official stance is that it can't really be "the life" unless there is a beach and Caribbean blue water involved, but you get the picture! This is "the life" for the time being.

The only part of my plan I had any hesitation over were the t.v. shows I watch at bedtime. It crossed my mind that I might not want to doze off in the middle of an ongoing crime scene investigation on "Forensic Files". It could be that it would bother me with Walt being gone and all.

But "Forensic Files" is one of my favorite shows so I took the gamble, and am happy to report that I've slept like a baby despite the fact I've seen gruesome murders and such immediately before drifting off to lull-a-bye land.

Last night I actually watched a re-run of "Wife Swap", followed by an episode of "How to Look Good Naked", while sitting propped up on pillows in my bed, washing down a piping hot bean sandwich with an ice cold Diet Pepsi!

Oh yessss! It would be hard to improve on that scenario.

I'm sure that by the time the week is winding to a close, I'll be starting to feel differently. I will grow tired of bean sandwiches and Forensic File re-runs and start counting the hours until Walt gets home and our lives get back to "normal" again.

But until then, I will admit, this ain't bad ... not bad at all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's to sleeping in the same T-shirt and shorts and not having to get dressed in the morning! How did you know?

Hey, I am so glad you started a blog. You know I have been a fan of your writing for like forever (and then a couple years) so this is great and you'll love reading back over your own entries too. But watch out, it's addictive. Pretty soon you'll be doing something really benign like passing gas in an Olive Garden and you'll think, "Hey, this would make a great blog post!" and your life will officially be over.

Love ya!