Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Paper? Plastic ? An oxygen tank to go with that, ma'am?

One of two things just happened.

Either:
a) I'm beginning to look like a grandma, or

b) The checkout guy at the grocery today was actually flirting with me a little.

Giving myself the benefit of the doubt, I'm going to choose "b".

This afternoon, I was waiting patiently for the young man behind the counter to total up my groceries when a conversation took place between him and the cashier in the next line over. There was an elderly gentleman in that line, and they were joking with him that surely he wasn't old enough to get the senior citizen discount yet.

The kid waiting on me shouted across the way at the other cashier, "Nah! He looks to me like he's got at least another five years to go!"

This was followed by lots of chuckles and friendly banter as the elderly man was handed his 5% off the total cost of the items he'd purchased.

"Ah! Wednesday is senior citizen discount day!" I thought to myself, " That explains why the parking lot was so crowded."

Then, as my groceries were being bagged and all my store discounts were being deducted, the clerk smiled and placed my receipt in my hand. Nodding, he added "This will be our little secret."

I had no idea what he was talking about, but I smiled back anyway and walked out to my car.

Putting the comment behind me, I pushed the heavy cart with it's one wobbly wheel across the parking lot. As I unloaded the bags into the trunk, it occurred to me that I might have picked up the wrong kind of donuts. Some of them were on sale and some weren't. Naturally I'd intended to buy the ones that were. I climbed into the front seat and pulled the receipt out of my purse to check.

Yes, I'd gotten the right donuts.

I'd also gotten the senior discount.

*gulp*

Obviously, that was the "little secret" to which the clerk had referred.

"Hmph!" I was feeling extremely tired today, but didn't think I looked that bad. I contemplated going back into the store and demanding to see the manager.

This has only happened to me once before. On that occasion I was insulted because the cashier had the audacity to ask me out loud if I qualified for a senior discount. That was at least three years ago, and the girl was only about nineteen years old. I figured she thought I was probably old enough to be her mother, therefore it might be possible that I was a VERY young looking senior.

I decided not to spring across the counter and choke her to within an inch of death. Instead, I simply informed her that I was not old enough, thank you! Even so, my feelings were significantly wounded. I made a point to avoid the grocery on senior citizen discount day from that point on.

This time was different. The kid didn't even hesitate. He didn't ask! He just rang 5% off my total bill and sent me on my way.

Sitting there in the car, I mulled the situation over in my head. I pulled the visor down and studied my face in the mirror.

Nah! There's no way the woman looking back at me was a day over 40! The young man who rang up my groceries was just being nice.

He liked me, that was all. It was the only reasonable explanation. After convincing myself of that fact, I started the car and headed back home.

In order to ensure the safety of my ego, I also made a mental note to myself to go to the grocery on any day BUT Wednesday from now until I've passed my 55th birthday. Although I am sure the incident was only a big misunderstanding, it's just not a risk I'm willing to take.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No way, no way could he have ever thought you looked like a senior. I think he gave you the discount just to be nice.

Anonymous said...

LOL, I agree with Erin...I think it was just his way of flirting ;)

Krystian