Monday, January 5, 2009

Why Do They Call It A Fast (When It Goes So SLOW?)

Our church family is currently finishing up day two of our annual twenty-one day fast. Several of us have opted to begin by doing a three day "water only" fast, then switch to the "Daniel" fast which allows fruits and vegetables, and a few other basic "real" food items.

My husband is going to go even longer than the three days on water only. Personally, I'm drinking water every day until sundown, then eating some of the actual "Daniel" fast foods in order to take my medications. Otherwise, the meds would upset my stomach terribly and trust me, we don't want that to happen.

This fasting stuff is an interesting experience. I'd like to say I'm so "super-spiritual" that I find it enjoyable, but I'd be lying. Although I didn't read anything in the "fasting guidelines" specifically addressing the subject of telling lies while fasting, I'm pretty sure it would have adverse effects on the desired outcome.

So, can you handle the truth? I'll tell you the stinkin' truth! I dread this thing every year. It's the only time I actually contemplate the possibility of finding a different church to attend, at least for a few weeks during the month of January!

Gasp! Of course I don't mean that.

I believe with all my heart that God Himself, has placed me in my particular church family. That is where I'm suppose to be and I wouldn't change it for the world. After all, I want nothing more than to be in the center of HIS will for my life. If my Pastor calls a fast every January, then that's what I know I should be doing.

But, do I have to LIKE it? I hope not, because if that's the case, I am in some deep trouble!

Fasting can be compared to labor and delivery. I've had three babies in my lifetime, and can honestly say I always enjoyed being pregnant. Even more so, I excitedly looked forward to finally holding each of my precious newborn babies in my arms!

The labor and delivery part though? I can't say I looked forward to THAT aspect of the whole "having a baby" process in the least. Even though all my labors and deliveries were relatively easy (for lack of a better word), there was nothing enjoyable about it! Not once during any of my pregnancies did I ever say, "Oh! I just can't wait to spend hours in writhing pain! Bring it on!"

I did, however, happily anticipate bringing my babies into this world and have been known to comment, "I wish I would hurry up and go into labor!"

Did I just contradict myself?

No!

I knew that labor and delivery were very necessary in order to get my babies here. That was my reward for enduring the pain.

Talk about the "end justifying the means"!

The same goes for fasting. Every year I dread it.

And every year I also know it's something I MUST do, because at the end of the fast there is always a great reward. Just like giving birth, there's something about what happens as a result of fasting that makes it seem "not so bad" after all. It makes me say that I would definitely do it all over again.

(Just not immediately, of course!)

That's what I focus on while I busy chewing on raw broccoli and washing it down with water when I'd much rather be gulping down a pizza with a side of Diet Pepsi! Eventually, the painful part WILL end!

Right now, with two fasting days behind me and nineteen left to go, that "end" seems like a million miles away.

I can do this! With God's help, I know I can.

But boy! Will I ever be happy when it's all over and done, and I can go back to eating "real" food for the other forty-nine weeks of the 2009!

Becky Taylor 1/5/09

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! One time in college my roommate who did not know I was water-only fasting (I had put the proverbial oil on my head and smile on my face) well, she ordered a big cheesy, greasy pepperoni pizza delivered all hot and steaming right to our dorm room. She even offered me some and I sweetly and with the proverbial oil on my head and no torn clothes or ashes, said, "no thanks". Then I went elsewhere.