Friday, September 26, 2008

God Help Me, I've Become "One of Them"

We've been experiencing panic at the gas pumps here in the Atlanta area ever since Hurricane Ike hit the Texas coast two weeks ago. Almost every station around is out of gas. If by chance there is gas to be found, one will inevitably also find a line of cars a mile (literally) long waiting for their turn at the pump. That turn can actually take two hours, because the pumps are also moving incredibly slowly.

People are losing their tempers and I don't really blame them.

This is crazy! According to the news, only three areas in the USA are being adversely affected by the supposed gas shortage, Atlanta-Georgia, Nashville-Tennessee, and Tallahassee-Florida. Other regions of our nation actually report an abundance of gas and lower prices than they've had in several weeks.

It's my personal opinion that this whole mess was created by the very people who feared it most! One word about a potential shortage caused them to panic and run out to top off their tanks, leaving none for the poor souls who actually NEED gas. The result has been an fifteen fold increase in people being stranded on the side of the road. Most of them report they were trying to get to a gas station when they ran out.

I've been fortunate so far. I filled my car, MzKitty up two weeks ago today, just before the prices went through the roof in anticipation of Ike's landfall. That lasted me until this past Monday. By then I was down to about an eighth of a tank. On my way to work my shift in the prayer room Monday night, I decided to take a short detour just in case the gas station a few blocks to the east still had some in supply.

Pay dirt, (or I suppose in this case, pay fuel!) Not only did that station have gas, there was no line! I breathed a prayer of thanks to the Man above as MzKitty gulped the liquid gold flowing from the hose.

Since then, I've been driving as little as possible. It was announced that the Governor of our state was giving permission to have gas that is a little "less clean" brought into Georgia in order to alleviate the crisis. I figured MzKitty's gas tank was full enough to last me until then.

Before I could say, "Whew!" all that changed. Now it appears we will have to wait another week to ten days before the the "dirty" gas becomes available.

We tightened our belts yet another notch. I informed my son that he would be riding the school bus both to and from school every day until further notice. I had three quarters of a tank full of gas in my car and intended to make it last as long as possible. Likewise, my husband will be riding his Harley to his appointments as often as he can.

Around 9:00 this morning while I was sipping coffee at the computer, still wearing my pajamas and robe as I fine tuned some documents for my business, the phone rang. It was my husband calling to inform me that the Chevron station down at the intersection had gas! He said there was a line, but it wasn't all that long and suggested I drive MzKitty down there to fill her up.

As much as I hated to, I rushed downstairs and slipped into the same jeans and t-shirt I wore yesterday. I pulled my hair back in a pony tail, then glanced in the mirror and decided to skip make-up. A few seconds delay could mean my trip down to the Chevron station would be all in vain! Stepping into my canvas sneakers,I grabbed my keys, hopped into my car and sped off on my mission.

Before I made it to the Chevron station, I discovered a station closer by that had also received a new shipment of gas this morning. There was a long line, but I pulled in anyway. I'd been sitting for several minutes waiting for my turn at the pump when the attendant came out and put the dreaded red plastic bag over the handle indicating that the pump was officially empty. I surveyed the lines at every other pump at that particular station and decided to go on down the highway to my original destination.

As soon as the Chevron station came into view, I spotted a tanker truck on the lot delivering a fresh supply of the coveted substance. Miracle of miracles, the lines at the pumps there were only one or two vehicles deep. I whipped my car into an open spot and waited.

A sign on the pump read, "$40.00 limit. No problem! I still had three quarters of a tank. A couple minutes and $15.00 later, victory was achieved. MsKitty's gas tank was topped off. I should be set for another week!

On the way home, it dawned on me that I have joined the ranks of the very people I've been complaining about for the last two weeks.

I suddenly felt greedy, and sad for all the people who will really need gas this evening but won't be able to find it. All because of people like me who decided to top off their tanks, just because they could!

I'm not proud of myself, not one bit!

Not proud, but thankful none-the-less, that MzKitty won't be thirsty for several days to come.

No comments: