Sunday, September 21, 2008

Crossing Over (to Dreamland)

I sometimes brag that I can watch just about anything on T.V. just before bedtime and fall asleep immediately, suffering no repercussions whatsoever. No matter what kind of morbidity I allow my mind to access via the television set, my ability to sleep and the dreams that follow, remain unaffected.

Most of the time, anyway.

In recent nights, I've had a particularly difficult time falling asleep and have ended up flipping through T.V. channels trying to find some suitable form of entertainment with which to bide my time. Last night, like many other nights, there was very little to choose from. I ended up watching one of those shows where a medium delivers messages from the dead to their living relatives.

Being a naturally intuitive person myself, I am intrigued by that sort of thing...intrigued, yet skeptical all the same.

I caught myself laughing out loud more than once at things the medium was saying. It was all so vague. I even thought, "Shoot! I could do that." To me, so much of it appeared to be a mere matter of saying something that might relate to just about anyone, then narrowing it down with more specific questions until there were only one or two people left standing to which the subject applied.

Intermittently, the medium would stop and give common sense advice or counseling to the living family members concerning unresolved issues that were unfortunately buried with their loved ones. Although not altogether a bad thing to do, I saw that as more of a time filler than anything. Like the messages the medium was delivering from the great beyond, the counsel he gave also leaned too far to the "generic" side to convince me.

More than once, the medium came up with some off the wall thought that no one in the group could identify as significant to their family. In that case, no further mention of the subject would be made, except the medium informed them to remember that tidbit, as "the meaning would come to them later on."

To each his own! I'm not discrediting this guy at all. I definitely believe in powers that enable some people to "see beyond". I'm just not all that comfortable with the source of some of those powers.

As I turned off the television and began my quest for sleep, I wondered how people could be so gullible as not to know the difference between the real thing and when they are simply being "played."

Later in the night, after tossing and turning, throwing the covers off because I was too hot only to pull them back on because I was too cold until well after midnight, I finally fell into a decent state of slumber.

And then guess what happened!

My grandmother, who passed away when I was twelve years old, came to visit. My mother, who passed away four years ago accompanied her, as well as several other members of my family who have gone on to the "other side".

It was my grandmother who seemed to be the spokesperson for the group. In my dream, I didn't seem to remember that the others, including my mother, had passed away in real life. As soon as I saw my grandmother sitting there on the bed, gray hair dancing around her head on the pillow she was propped against, I said, "Wow! That's my grandma! She died when I was twelve!!"

There were several living members of my family in the dream as well. I enthusiastically introduced two of my grandchildren to their great-great Grandmother, who in turn smiled. She appeared happy to see them, but seemed none-the-less unsurprised by their existence. It occurred to me that she already knew who they were.

There was no "deep" message or word of advice relayed to me by my Grandma or my Mother ... or any of the other dozen or so family members who visited me in my sleep. It was more of a "Hey! We were in the neighborhood and thought we'd stop in." kind of visit.

I found it rather pleasant, in fact.

Eventually the alarm clock rang, requiring that we all say our good-byes.

I woke up thinking, "Well, that was cool, albeit in a very weird way." And then I laughed, remembering the type of show I'd watched just before dozing off last night.

Do I think my deceased relatives actually paid me a visit in my sleep last night? NO! But the next time I am flipping through channels in the middle of the night, I believe I'll look for entertainment of a lighter fare.

No offense, Grandma! It was great to see you, but if it's all the same to you, our next visit can wait until I myself, cross over to the great beyond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are so calm about the matter - cracks me up girl!

Brock