Friday, August 8, 2008

Feed Me!!

This time last week we were boarding a ship for a weekend cruise where for three days, we were surrounded by food. Even before our ship pulled away from the port, a veritable 24/7 feeding frenzy ensued which lasted until we walked off on Monday morning.

My problem with that? I wasn't hungry.

I tried to eat. I felt compelled to join the masses at the buffet every morning and afternoon. There, I would pile food on my plate like it was going out of style, only to sit down and decide I didn't want it after all.

Each evening we would dress up and make our way to the dining room where we were able to order any delicacy our hearts desired, even if it wasn't on the menu! The food was delicious, but try again as I may, I just didn't want it. About three bites into each dish, my appetite would abandon me, leaving me sitting there feeling badly about wasting all that glorious food.

It was weird.

You wanna know what's more weird than that?

Now that I am home and my choices are much more limited, I suddenly find myself starving. Seriously! If I'd felt like this last week, someone would have had to wheel me off the ship in a cargo box. There wouldn't have been any food left in a three mile radius after I got finished with it.

Yes, even this morning, I would KILL for a big buffet to plunder through.

I'm not normally a big eater. My philosophy has always been "Eat to live", not "Live to eat!" Food typically holds a rather low spot on my list of priorities. It isn't unusual for me to get so involved with whatever I am doing, that I forget to eat.

Yes. I said I "forget" to eat.

So why this sudden change? I haven't the foggiest clue. Hopefully it will pass as quickly as it hit and I'll be back to my normal un-hungry self soon.

For now, I'll just go fix myself a bowl of left over chili and bide my time as I wait.

No comments: