Sunday, August 31, 2008

Bringin' Ugly Back

I'm not much of a shopper. Normally when I go into a clothing store, it's with a specific purpose in mind. Today, I happened to have one of those "purposes" as I am in dire need of some new shirts for fall. Because I am such a focused shopper, I figured it would take me about ten minutes max to find what I was looking for.

Wow! Was I ever wrong. Upon stepping inside the door of the first store, I noticed a definite trend in all the fall clothing.

It's all UGLY!

I didn't like anything I saw.

I didn't like the prints.
I didn't like the material.
I didn't like the colors.
I didn't like the way they were made.

The clothing displayed on the merchants shelves reminded me of a bad acid trip. No, I've never actually experienced an acid trip, bad or otherwise, but I can't really think of any other way to describe the selection of shirts hanging in front of me.

By the time I got to the third and last store, I was singing just slightly under my breath (to the tune of "Bringing Sexy Back") ...

"They're bringin' ugly back ... gives me a heart attack ... oh Lord! it's taste they lack ... they're bringin' ugly back..."

It made me wish I'd bought a few more tops last fall when I could actually find some I wasn't embarrassed to wear.

Needless to say, I came home without one single new piece of clothing. In "style" or not, I refuse to wear anything as hideous as the shirts I looked at today. You see, a couple years ago I made a promise to myself not to buy any clothing items I didn't "love". Overall, I have been satisfied with my decision, but it has also posed some problems with my wardrobe. Although what I have hanging in there is pleasing to my eye, I must admit I don't have nearly as many options to choose from as I've had in years gone by.

Never the less, I am sticking to my vow. I have reached the age where I can dress the way I want to dress. I refuse to lower my standards for the mere sake of being "trendy".

So, be forewarned! Until the fashion industry adjusts itself to suit my tastes, you will find me wearing the same old outfits repeatedly. Sorry folks, I just can't do "ugly".

No comments: