Friday, October 23, 2009

Intervention

My oldest daughter has informed me that she is planning to get the family together for an "Intervention" on my behalf.

Apparently my frequent presence online is causing her some concern. She seems to be tired of hearing "news" from me through what she considers the indirect channel of my facebook friends. The latest example being the case of my prodigal cat, Skippyjon. Last week, when he went missing I headed straight to my computer and shared my heartache with my 700+ closest friends. I was immediately comforted by the show of support they offered.


Likewise, when the rascal returned three days later, I couldn't wait to share the happy news. To my delight, my online friends joined me in a celebratory "cyber-party". It was great!

I love the internet. I love the way it makes it easy to stay in touch with people I'd otherwise only have contact with on an infrequent basis (if at all). I love how it helps me keep up with the daily goings-on of the people I see regularly. I also love the way it has made me many new friends who never would have crossed my path without the benefit of my computer screen.

These things are important to me. I need my cyber-connections!

The internet, in general has made the world we live in a very small place. In an age when life is so busy and time goes by at warp speed, it's refreshing to be able to reconnect with all my friends and family with a few simple clicks of the mouse.

Who can complain about such luxury?

I could go on (and I will). The internet has enriched my life in many ways. I found my sweet Shetland Sheepdog while surfing the web one morning at 3:00 a.m. I've met many new friends, renewed several old friendships ... and was even introduced to my husband via the magic of the internet world.


Say what you will, the internet has been very good to me.

So give it up? I don't think so!


I'll admit to a certain level of "dependence" on my access to the internet. I do spend much of my free time staring at the computer screen in attempt to quench my insatiable thirst for more information than any human could possibly really need. It could be a lot worse! I'm certainly not hurting anyone with my "addiction"


Go ahead! Bring on your "Intervention" if you must! I warn you, your efforts will be to no avail.



I can quit anytime I want ... but right now I am obliviously happy with the internet monkey firmly attached to my back.






















































1 comment:

Erin J said...

I am SO with you! My friend who recently joined FaceBook was shuffling and apologizing like she didn't want to be one of "those" people who do stuff on the internet. I had to laugh. I'm so addicted it isn't funny and completely at peace with that fact!