Wednesday, January 13, 2010

HeavyWeight

So far my quest to be in my best shape ever by my 50th birthday leaves something to be desired. Not only have I not been to the gym since before Christmas, I've also managed to gain a few more pounds from enjoying too much holiday fun and fellowship.

I'm blaming it on the hormones. You, know ... those mid-life hormones everyone makes such a fuss about? I use to think they didn't really exist. How bad could it be, really? Well, now I know! The arrival of the holidays combined with a drastically intensified craving for sweets made this a particularly dangerous season for me. For a solid month, I gobbled down candy and cookies like there was no tomorrow, promising myself that each indulgence would be my last.

Famous last words, huh?

Once the New Year began I resumed some control. I cut out all candy and cookies (but not sugar altogether) As a result, I've lost two of the four pounds I picked up during all the festivities. That leaves me with the original ten pounds I put on over the summer, plus another four or five I'd like to get rid of while I'm at it.

The process has been delayed a little thanks to unforeseen circumstances. One of our friends passed away on January 2, then we had company here from Africa to attend the funeral. After that, Walt and I both got sick with some kind of virus. Obviously not the kind of virus that causes any weight loss, but the kind that makes a person want to lay around and eat comfort food.

Ugh!

It's time to get crackin' again! I am going to go back to the gym today (really, I am!) I don't feel like doing a bunch of jumping around, so Zumba class is out, but I will at least get on the treadmill for thirty minutes and see if I can't jump start my metabolism. After that, I'll resume my "at home" workout with crunches and all that other fun stuff that makes me want to scream.

I had another interesting routine doctor's visit last week as well. We went through the same old song and dance about my low iron levels so I'm back on iron supplements again. After the visit, I came home and researched the causes of low iron (for the four hundredth time in my life) and discovered it's common for people with hypothyroidism to have low ferritin levels, which lead to anemia.

Why didn't my doctor know that?

I was also intrigued by some information I found concerning low body temperature. (Remember, I was complaining before about always being cold?) There's something called "Wilson's Temperature Syndrome" which is oddly enough associated with hypothyroidism. Although the Synthroid I've been taking seems to fix the low thyroid problem, I learned it can actually cause misleading blood test results. I ordered some supplements from a holistic health website. It's my hope that they will work at least a minor miracle and I'll feel better overall.

Oh! And drop some more weight, of course.

Seven months from today, I will turn 50. Wow! What a sobering thought. I've only got seven months left in which to complete my transformation. That means this Grandma needs to get off the couch and start moving again!

Becky Taylor
http://www.boldnewday.com

January 13, 2010

No comments: