Saturday, January 9, 2010

Call Me Frigid!

Our area is experiencing a record breaking cold spell. This morning we actually have a wind chill advisory in effect, something I've not heard mentioned since I moved to Georgia nearly six years ago. Not only that, but we had measurable snowfall night before last, most of which is actually still on the ground.

The roads are an icey mess! I heard of at least one 27 car pile up near the airport. The news is filled with video footage of cars sliding into each other, or into ditches and embankments. Needless to say, towing companies have been working non-stop for about 48 hours now.

In people's homes, pipes are bursting everywhere! Plumbers in the area cannot keep up with the demand for their services.

Being from Ohio, I am all too familiar with snow and below freezing temperatures. What I am not accustomed to is being able to stay inside while it's happening. For the first time in my adult life, I don't have a job that requires me to leave the house during nasty weather. Even in Ohio when the authorities declared a level 3 or 4 "snow emergency" (which means a person could literally be arrested for being out on the highway) I had the dubious privilege of working in the medical field, which meant I had to go to work, no matter what!

Call me a Diva if you will. I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm a total sissy when it comes to winter weather. I don't like being cold and will do whatever possible to avoid it. Cold seems to go right through me. Throw a steady wind in there, and I swear I'll have a tantrum! Once I've gotten a chill, it takes me forever to warm back up again.

So, get me to a warmer climate, and get me there NOW! Give me palm trees and a sandy beach. I want to bask in the blazing sunshine while the sounds of the ocean waves lull me to sleep.

I don't care if I never see snow or feel cold again!

Since I do not foresee any tropical climates in my near future, today I will thank God for the blessing of being able to sit at home in my robe and pajamas, a blanket tucked around me, cup of hot coffee in hand, and a fire burning in the fireplace.

Despite my self admitted "Diva" status, I truly do understand how fortunate I am ...maybe not quite as fortunate as those other Divas who are out there lying on the beach somewhere ... but I know I am very fortunate and do not take that for granted.

For the sake of those less fortunate, I pray a quick end to this awful freezing weather, and in the meantime a shelter with blankets, hot food and drink, and a fire of their own to keep them warm.



God bless!

Becky J. Taylor
http://www.boldnewday.com

Jan. 9, 2010

No comments: