Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Roller Coaster

I like roller coasters. They're fun.

But only the new fangled kind they make out of steel, not the old wooden ones. Ouch! Those hurt!

My favorite so far has been "Superman" at Six Flags. Technically, I'm not sure that falls into the category of "roller coasters" but it's close enough I think. I had such a great time on that ride! I especially enjoyed the part where it all of a sudden flipped me upside down and took me flying backwards! Weeeeeeee! What a thrill.

So, contrary to some people's opinion, I really am no weeny. I like fun, adventurous kinds of things. I just don't like to get hurt, that's all.

"What does the topic of roller coasters have to do with anything?", you might be asking.

Well, I'll tell you.

My life has been an emotional roller coaster lately and I don't mean the fun "Superman" kind. I'm talking about the old rickety, hurt your neck at every bump, wooden sort of roller coaster that I swore I'd never ride again.

Life, however, has not given me much choice in the matter, so here I am being thrown all over the place, up ... then down without warning and screaming every inch of the way.

I used to be stronger than this. I don't know what happened but all of a sudden it appears all my resilience has gone bye-bye. I never know how I'm going to feel one moment to the next anymore and it's really getting on my nerves.

For instance, yesterday was a very good day all around. I felt enthusiastic, and even pretty excited about life and the future. It was the first "good day all day long" day I've had for a while and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Today started off good too. I had a productive morning. I'm getting use to having to do things on a schedule again, so that's good. I'm proud of that achievement! I had a tele-conference, a phone session with a client, did two loads of laundry, took care of a couple more important calls and then went on an errand run. All before noon!

I should mention that somewhere in the middle of all that, I managed to get dressed in REAL clothes (not running pants and a t-shirt), fix my hair and put on some makeup. That in itself says a lot considering how things have been going in recent weeks.

Yes, life behaved itself beautifully for a little over 24 hours.

My first stop on the errand run was at "Party City" to grab some things for the Grand Opening Travel Party we're having this Sunday afternoon. I had fun picking out my theme and decided to choose "Mexico", since that's one of my favorite places to go AND we're giving away a trip to Mexico at our party.

Then, somewhere in aisle five while I was standing, gazing in awe at the display of plastic Margarita glasses, the stacks of party supplies that surrounded me began to cave in. Not literally, of course but all of a sudden I was hit with a sense of dread and sadness that hurt just about as badly.

In an instant, all the things I was feeling so excited about yesterday became overwhelming to me and I almost panicked. I wanted nothing more than to leave my cart of Mexican themed goodies and head back to the safety of my own home, preferably between the covers of my bed if at all possible.

Sigh.

I stuck it out and paid for the items I'd chosen. After that I had to stop at Office Max and get some business supplies, have copies made, yada yada ... but I didn't enjoy it. As a matter of fact I didn't get everything I needed because I decided I'd grab only what would be necessary to get us through the weekend.

I feel very tired now, as is usually the case when the rickety roller coaster finally comes to a rest for a while. I'd really like to take a nap but that isn't an option. I guess I'll just wait here in line for the next coaster to arrive. Hopefully it will be "Superman" and not "Son of Beast" next time around!

No comments: