Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Mid-life Cry-sis

I've been really, really, really good about watching what I've been eating for a week now. That might not seem like such a big deal to you, but to me is is huge! HUGE like the size of my midsection these days. They don't call it the "middle age spread" for nothing, folks!

As I was saying, I decided a couple weeks ago that I would start eating better and trying to lose weight as soon as we got back from the family reunion and our trip to Savannah. I even cut my Diet Pepsi down to almost nothing because I heard the aspartame was bad for me.

Sure enough, I lost two pounds almost immediately.

Unfortunately, they were the same two pounds I'd picked up during our four days away, so I doubt it was "real" weight to begin with. Most likely it was only water.

Since then, I've stayed steady at about fifteen pounds over what I would weigh in a more perfect world. Ten pounds over the weight I'd almost kill for right now.

Meanwhile, I am hungry for the food I use to be able to eat without worrying about increasing my girth. I've never had horrible eating habits and I've never had to worry much about my weight.

Call me naive but I somehow thought the mid-life rules would not apply to me. I've always believed I'd welcome these years with outstretched arms. It's suppose to be liberating, right?

Excuse me while I double over in laughter at my own innocence.

It turns out that mid-life is a cruel prankster.

Too bad for me, I hate pranks ... and I'm hating mid-life so far.

Not only do I hate the extra weight that has firmly attached itself to my belly, I also hate the wrinkles on my face and neck. I hate the flab that waves in the breezes from the underside of my upper arms. I hate the sleepless nights.

I hate looking my age for the first time in my life!

If this is what being fifty is all about, I've changed my mind! I demand a re-count, or better yet a do-over! Back me up about three years and leave me there, happy and oblivious at 47. Is that too much to ask? It isn't like I am demanding to be twenty one all over again, I just want to be like I use to be a few short years ago.

So, stop the ride, I want to get off.

I don't want to be FIFTY!

I don't want to be old, tired, fat, moody and sweaty. Those things are just soooo NOT me. Give me my life back please.

Oh ... and you might want to give it back NOW, so nobody gets hurt!

Becky J. Taylor
Bold New Day! LLC
Personal Development Coaching for Women

http://www.beckyjtaylor.com

No comments: