Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Get Real!

I enjoy reality t.v. as much as anyone, but come on! I can't believe the things they will base a television show on these days. It seems to me the '09 season has stooped to a new low.

Surely the "peeping tom" has become extinct, since at any given time of the day, all one has to do in order to satisfy their voyeuristic cravings is turn on the television and start flipping channels. Soon enough, you are bound to stumble upon a show about something that, not too many years ago would have been considered mundane details of another family's life.

Haven't thrown anything in your house away for 15 years and, are therefore unable to invite company over because you can't find the sofa? (Yet for some reason you're willing to have a camera crew come in and video the mess so it can be broadcast to the world?)

Perfect! Let's make a t.v. show about it!

By any chance, do you give birth to your babies in litters? I'm sure everyone in America would love to watch you change diapers assembly line style for the next two years. (It definitely tops my list of things I want to see!)

Looking for a wife (or husband) and want some panel of strangers to narrow down your choices to a dozen or so, so you can date them all, then decide which one to humiliate nationwide each week, until you figure out which girl/guy is "the one"?

Oh brother!

Or I know ... dress your six year old daughter up like a hooker and parade her around in hopes of winning prizes that don't even add up to the cost of the dress she's wearing to the pageant!

That's a real winner right there.

Here's one ladies! Get all the housewives in your neighborhood together and video yourselves having coffee, gossiping or taking the kids to school ... throw in some "cat-fights" for good measure! That idea also seems to be selling big these days.

The list goes on and on and on, to the point of ridiculous.

Addictions?

Fetishes?

Unusual diseases?

I saw an advertisement the other day about a show that will air this fall titled, "Your Kid Swallowed WHAT?"

What in the world possessed someone to spend money on a series about kids who have been taken to the Emergency Room because they swallowed a matchbox car, or some equally indigestible object!

I will admit, I've fallen prey once or twice to a couple of the very shows I've critically mentioned above. Some of them do have a way of sucking a person right in, in a manner that can only be compared to the sick state of astonishment one might derive from witnessing a bad auto accident.

Maybe I should volunteer for a new reality show about people who sit around and actually watch the silly stuff they put on t.v. these days.

Shoot! Come to think of it, with a little creative editing, my own family might qualify for our own reality show! Over the last year, we've certainly done our part toward proving that truth indeed is, "stranger than fiction".

I just don't know that it could be considered interesting or relative to anyone outside our little family circle.

I suppose that is where I'm missing the point. For all I know, I might be allowing logic and reasoning to stand between us and infamy!

No thank you.

Our home life will likely never merit a spot in the limelight, but it's a pretty cool life none-the-less. We are normal people and we like it that way. Let everyone else air their dirty laundry on t.v. in return for a few dollars in the bank. We'll just sit back and watch, and thank God that no one is making a video of us while we're doing it!

Becky Taylor
09/09/09

2 comments:

Rebecca Williams said...

So true.. I think I will just sit back and let everyone else tell the world their personal problems. :)

Amanda D. said...

Hey Becky. I can agree with ya on how crazy "reality" tv has gotten over the past year or two. HOWEVER...and thats a big however...I'm totally addicted. I knew of every single show that you mentioned minus the one about the kids swallowing different items. Can't really say that I would be willing to watch that one. Kinda dull. lol. I would say that I watch them because I have nothing better else to do but thats not the case. I have a TON of stuff in which the list grows and grows each and every day. The sad part is this...if I know I'm not going to be home or available to watch the show, I'll TIVO it! LOL. I've got so many shows of Big Brother, Real Houseswives of Atlanta, There goes the Neighborhood, Rachel Ray, Jon and Kate plus 8, Clean Sweep, America's Got Talent, and The Amazing Race that I could cancel my cable and have 3 months of tv left to watch. Oh yeah and Survivor starts this week or next...oh my! Its because of crazy folks like myself that get "sucked" into watching the show that they keep airin' them and keep coming up with more shows for us to watch. Who knows...I certainly don't. haha. But I need to run and set my DVR to record Survivor while I'm thinking about it :)