Thursday, April 9, 2009

Lab Rat at Heart

I've been thinking of returning to the laboratory environment to work. The lab was my first love, and it's been calling my name again in recent weeks. This morning I decided to send away for information on degrees in the field of forensics. I am hoping to find a university that will accept the credits from my current degree in science. If so, it shouldn't take long at all to earn my BS in criminology.

With a little luck, I'll be able to complete a great deal of it online.

"Luck" however, doesn't seem to be much on my side lately, so it could be interesting!

I don't plan to give up my Life Coaching career, rather I hope I can work in forensics as a day job and do my coaching practice as more of a ministry.

I've often caught myself wondering why, despite the fact I have a science degree and all my experience in the medical field, I've not felt any urgency to put my knowledge and education in those areas to use for all these years. All the while, my fascination with the darker side of science has been eating away at me and I can't help but wonder, "Did I somehow miss my true calling in life?"

I suppose we will find out soon enough! It could be that I'll hear back from the schools I sent to for information and decide I'm really not interested after all. Then, I'll go back to getting my "morbidity fix" by watching Forensic Files and reading creepy crime stories whenever I can get my hands on one.

At the very least, it would make for an interesting story. Perhaps it might provide research for a children's book titled .. "Grandma Goes to College". It could be filled with photos of a middle aged woman seated in a classroom filled with late teens and twenty-somethings ... all young enough to be my own children.

Hmm ... no. I'll stick to the online schooling idea, thank you! My self esteem has been beaten down enough as it is.

I'll be taking the process one step at a time. If I find an online school that suits me, I'll then need to pursue financial aid of some kind ... and so on and so forth. Hopefully I would be able to pay off my student loans sometime before I retire.

So much for this analytical mind to ponder, so few years in which to follow through!

No comments: